Re: pronouns and portfolios

Subject: Re: pronouns and portfolios
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:30:58 +0200

I strongly disagree with Janice (hi Janice) on the following:
*********
Well, this is the crux of the disagreement, isn't it?
Many people here feel that grammar is style and there
is no right or wrong; others like myself feel that it
provides rules so distinctions can be made between
correct and incorrect usage.
***************

The point is not to make distinctions between correct/incorrect usage. The point is that correct usage exists to enhance readability. The grammar we all know (we do, right?) and love (hem, hem) is set up to present the reader with patterns they can (roughly speaking) instinctively use to prepare themselves for the ensuing phrases and ideas. Mess with it, and you usually increase the cognative load for the reader. Whether they likes it or doesn't, they are the one who has to deal with it.

Especially in technical writing, where the cognative load can be particularly heavy, it's the writer's job to ease that load whenever possible. Among the tricks in her kit, she can try to make sure each phrase is as correct as possible. Correct generally equates to unobtrusive. (Yes, I could have stated the above in a gender-free manner.) This includes other pet peeves such as resisting the urge to verb a nound. One does not party, leverage, transition, etc.

And lest ye claim that grammar is about style, and hence subjective, imagine technical writing in the language my daughter used 5 years ago... "If you do a SetInput in your sh*t after like some bogus SetInput you did like a while ago, your system will be all Oh My God." Nice style, but not very informative. The grammatical errors are like whoaaa!

One can *do* a noun, but here the noun is so indirect it seems hard to sustain so general a verb

*like* is meaningless

*bogus* is a stylistic error but lacks information

It seems you don't like that bogus SetInput any more

One or one's system cannot *be* all Oh My Anything, not to mention that such a description of state is a bit abbreviated.

The point is, for the kind of writing we do (Ah-ha! I just *did* a noun!), some objectivity does indeed exist, and it should. And further, the more objectivity the better. (I would argue against the philosophy du-jour and claim that it is objectivity that exists, and that subjectivity is an illusion after all, but that's another thread.)

Be glad you don't write in Spanish. Every noun has a gender, and every modifier must match that gender... Mass nouns default to masculine. So if you have all daughters, they are hijas, all sons and they are hijos, sons and daughters are also hijos. It seems the politically correct response is the @ character. Sons and daughters are hij -at- s -dot- A typographical nightmare as far as readability is concerned, and as difficult to pronounce as the true name of God.

I personally think the gender issue for he/she is a load of crud. Hey, alternate he and she, or just use he or just use she for crying out loud. We have centuries of usage that suddenly must be ignored just to satisfy politics? I'm not ready to bow that low - call me a chauvinist, but I think actions speak louder than words. Nonetheless, I do avoid gender in my technical writing whenever I can (generally always) because I know it offends some people - I want to be well liked, just like poor old Nixon or what's-his-name from Death of a Salesman.

Cheers cud
--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com