RE: thank-you notes

Subject: RE: thank-you notes
From: DJA -at- jenkon -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:39:59 -0700

When I interviewed for this job 3-1/2 years ago, I sent my first e-mail
thank you. Toward the end of the note I purposely asked a question about an
aspect of the position. My reasoning was that if the interviewer actually
took the time to answer my question, it could give me an indication of:
- his politeness quotient
- the likelihood that I would receive an offer

Worked like a charm. He replied to my question with a "you will be ..."
statement, which indicated to me that he was already thinking of me as
working here. The second interview was my job offer!

Karen wrote:

> Or even _if_ you respond to the note. My guess is that there is no
> response
> required for a thank-you note (a thanks-for-thanking-me note?), unless the
>
> interviewer is following up with interview feedback, and is letting you
> know
> the outcome of the search process because you didn't get the job and is
> being kind. If the interviewer wants to request further information to
> prepare for a subsequent interview, he or she should telephone.
>
> I've never sent a thank-you note for an interview. I got this job through
> recruiting company, and I should probably thank my recruiter for being
> such
> a positive force and spending so much time on follow-up (she called me
> this
> week to see how I was doing).

Debra Ashcraft, Technical Writer
Jenkon