RE: Clippy's Demise

Subject: RE: Clippy's Demise
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:04:00 -0600

> Subject: Clippy's Demise
> From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:54:26 -0400

> Just read this in the NY Times. Clippy is about to become one of the
> dot.com unemployed. Microsoft is beginning an ad campaign to
announce that
> Office XP (eX Paper clip) will use a much less intrusive help
system. It
> seems as though MS is finally listening to users who have clamored
about
> feature bloat and is working hard to make the Office software
simpler to
> use.

The only thing I am going to say is Hallelujah ! ! !

I remember first encountering that awful paper clip in Office 97--and
within a week I had developed such a revulsion for the thing, I did a
custom reinstall of the software, leaving out all the context
sensitive features of the help system.

There are a few of us who are only too glad to see it go.

Come to think of it, if MS put as much energy into fixing the bugs in
the software features as they did into developing Clippy, they'd have
a much better product.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer