In Defense of "Clippy"

Subject: In Defense of "Clippy"
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:48:21 -0500

First I fully acknowledge that Clippy's help is often an annoying intrusion on
the working being done because it is generally too basic for the task at hand.
Second, I also agree that Clippy isn't functional enough to understand all tasks
being performed. However, in defense of Clippy, I have found the friendly face
(I use "Links" the cat) to sometimes be reassuring and enjoyable to watch from
time to time when work becomes too much work. It is often nice to be reminded
to play and not take yourself and the work too seriously. It kind of puts
things into perspective especially when I take the time to pet the little girl.

The discussion on "Clippy" somewhat supports my belief that experienced users
generally seek help because they are performing "unnatural acts" with the
software. In other words, they are attempting to do something not anticipated
by the developers or the help system developers. "Unnatural acts" are the most
difficult to anticipate and document except I suppose if you are in law
enforcement.

Lisa A. Miller
Technical Writer
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Packaging Team - Corporate Engineering
mailto:lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com
(314) 865-8904

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.