Re: Big Brother is watching?

Subject: Re: Big Brother is watching?
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:15:40 -0400

At 12:05 PM 04/17/2001 -0700, Richard Smith wrote:

As a staunch privacy advocate I will say two
things: First consider the employer's point of
view. They are usually concerned about safe-
guarding their intellectual property...

I have no problem with this. Moreover, given the number of people on recipe and crafting mailing lists who cheerfully acknowledge that they do all their typing and posting at work, I can understand employers becoming concerned about how you're using your time. (Many years ago, I was working for one of the world's largest banks when it was discovered that around $50,000 per month was being spent on 900 porn numbers -- on company time. Needless to say, that was swiftly blocked.)

IMHO, the problem arises when people are working almost round the clock. Virtually all developers have worked overnight at least once, and into the wee hours of the morning many times. (No matter how efficient we are, we have no control over how long it takes senior management to approve something, etc.) If I'm sitting at my desk at 2 AM (and I'm not paid overtime), waiting for someone to give me essential data, it does seem that I should be able to send a personal E-Mail or whatever without fear of someone reading it.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com