RE: Big Brother is watching?(veering slightly OT)

Subject: RE: Big Brother is watching?(veering slightly OT)
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:07:11 -0500

The health record, health insurance thing is absolutely correct. Your
employer gets a copy of your billing records and files it away as part of
your employee records. I know, because I filed that stuff. It takes nothing
to take a look.

But, on this email surveillance issue, if a company like Microsoft gives you
an office space, which you are encouraged to use as your home, then the
mindset extends to email, phone calls, streaming, and any other offensive
capable technology. If the company won't respect your privacy and your
professionalism, then you have options.

Here in Texas, employees are hired and fired at will. You don't have to do
surveillance. I know that other states have other rules, but trying to work
in an environment of fear is more detrimental than the loss of IP or any
other legal issues that arise. If you have to do a lot of CYA
administration, if you have to bring your own WAN enabled laptop to work, if
you have to meticulously do your time keeping real work isn't getting done.
Fear and a lack of productivity go hand in hand.

You should have been hired on your merits and managed like an asset rather
than a liability.

David

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.