Who's Heard of the STC Outside of This Field? (was: Not again: ce rtification)

Subject: Who's Heard of the STC Outside of This Field? (was: Not again: ce rtification)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:43:30 -0500

I don't think a certification from STC is going to impress very many
managers anyway, unless they are writers themselves because very few people
outside of our field have ever even heard of STC.

Actually quite a few within it have never heard of STC either. I was two
semesters into a technical writing B.A. program before I first heard of STC,
and that was only after somebody told me about this list and I kept seeing
it mentioned here. I don't know if it's the same industry-wide, but most of
the "writers" working for the military contractor where I used to work had
never heard of STC (or Techwr-L) and frankly didn't care.