RE: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND

Subject: RE: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:02:32 -0500

I see two choices:
1) Talk to your boss about the tasks he is assigning you. Tell him you do
not want to do these, as you call them "silly jobs." Figure out an
alternative list of tasks instead, either writing a style guide, analyzing
the top 10 problem reports from Customer Support that bring up issues not
addressed in your documentation, or implementing source control, or . . .
you know better what needs to be done than any of us. But this solution
requires assertiveness to first come up with a list of tasks and the
directness to bring them up to your boss.

2) Find a different job.

Of the two, option 1 being assertive will get you further in life than
walking away from an opportunity for personal growth.

Paul Hanson
Documentation Team
Quintrex Data Systems
http://www.quintrex.com

<snip>
> One reason is also that the organization is facing a dearth of projects
> involving real tech writing work
> and I am, technically speaking, on bench right now.
<snip>
> And I am a person who lacks assertiveness.
<snip>

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.