modularizing flowcharts

Subject: modularizing flowcharts
From: Bal Simon <wordmuse -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:12:09 -0700

Hi,

I've got, as part of my current project, a task of creating and editing very complex flowcharts. It seems to me that for even the most complex flows it should be possible to map them out simply, e.g., by tracing specific branches or building nested black boxes that one opens for ever greater detail, etc.

Example:

--------- --------- /\ ---------- / \ o o o
| 1 | --------> | 2 | --------> / d1 \ --------> | 3 | --------> / d2 \ --------> o O1 o
--------- --------- \/ ---------- \/ o o o
/\ /\ | | yes
| | | |
| | | no |
------------------------|------------------------| |
| |
| |

In this example, I do not see an easy way to modularize the diagram. I CAN map out specific branches, e.g.,

Branch A 1 - 2 - d1(no) - 1 ...
Branch B 1 - 2 - d1(yes) - 3 - d2(yes) - 2...
Branch C 1 - 2 - d1(yes) - 3 - d2(no) - O1

This enables me to quickly see which way the decisions (d1 and d2) need to go in order for me to reach the Output (O1): d1 has to be yes and d2 has to be no, or else we generate loops.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing. Are there resources "out there" that deal with "diagram theory" and how to better construct them?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Bal

When the going gets tough, the smart start innovating more...
When the going gets easier, the smart continue to innovate.
<smile>Time to innovate!</smile>

http://www.1wordmuseplace.com/1st/home.htm

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com