Re: modularizing flowcharts

Subject: Re: modularizing flowcharts
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:42:36 +0200

At 11:12 AM 22-04-01, Bal Simon wrote:

> I've got, as part of my current project, a task of creating and editing very complex flowcharts.

Most unfortunate. However, I think you should win some sort of prize for ASCII art.

What's the point of the chart? To educate, or as a decision-making tool? I think if the latter then I don't agree with your statement that

> ... even the most complex flows it should be possible to map them out simply

I think the purpose of flow charts is to map out a complex decision-making process with a lot of branching and possibilities. And all the complexity needs to be displayed in the chart in order to see all of the possibilities at once.

If it were simple (ie linear), you wouldn't need the flowchart. E.g. a linear recipe doesn't need a flow chart:
1. Melt marshmallows
2. Mix in Rice Crispies.
3. Put in pan.
4. Put in fridge.

Or maybe the above list _is_ a flow chart without branching?

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.