RE: "install" as a noun

Subject: RE: "install" as a noun
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:45:31 -0400

I'd rather see "install" as a noun than "transition" as a verb, but both are
facts of the tech writing life in the 21st century. I can make my own
choices in what I, personally, write and lobby like crazy against the
"corruption" of the language, but the reality is that language changes and
we have to deal with it.

The tie-in to techwriting: As I've become involved in a huge single-sourcing
effort, I've found that vocabulary and style are real issues. We have had to
agree upon what the words we use mean. We have to write so that no jarring
differences exist among modules written by different authors. I chafe at
having to swallow "transition" as a verb, but for this purpose and these
audiences, that's a battle not worth fighting. There are much more important
concerns on which I must focus.

Just my take on the fast-flowing philological flood!

Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.