columns

Subject: columns
From: "Damien Braniff" <dbraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:43:24 +0100

Something has just come up that I'd not really thought about before. I've checked the reference books I have here (Chicago etc) but I'm no clearer. I have a two column datasheet with some graphics which are full page width and the question has been raised when you come down the column and hit the figure do you:

Carry on below the figure to the bottom of the page and then jump to the top of the second column
OR
Jump to the top of the second column and then move to the first column under the figure

Most of what I've seen like this does the former but that may be down to strategic breaks - new section starts below the figure. Is there any standard for this? Would the reader know it? Is the best way to try and have the figure at the top/bottom of the page so there is only text below OR above it?

TIA
Damien

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer