RE: Documenting a wizard-based task

Subject: RE: Documenting a wizard-based task
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:51:20 -0600

> If the wizard needs documenting, maybe you should
> be reviewing the UI of the wizard -- ?
>
> Or are we not talking about the same kind of wizards?

All wizards are not created equal.

I am documenting a set of wizards that work in Visual Studio to build
skeletons of interactive TV code modules. The choices you make are obvious
if you already know how to build one of these code modules, but need a lot
of explanation if you don't have experience. The wizard saves a lot of
time, any both cases, but docs are very necessary.

My suggestion for documenting a wizard is two-fold: create a GUI reference
that explains all choices found in the wizard (screen by screen) and then
create a set of procedures that use the (you choose) top 3, 4, 5, decision
paths and call it a day. You document the main uses procedurally, and you
provide an exhaustive reference for the advanced decisions.

Walden