RE: ERwin

Subject: RE: ERwin
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 16:11:06 -0400

Bonnie,

A few of our DBAs used ERwin (ERwin stands for Entity Relationships for
Window, or some such title) for some projects that were completed more than
2 years ago. As far as anybody here could find out, the version of ERwin we
used did not let you save a file that could be used in any way by Word. All
it did was print hardcopy ER diagrams. We no longer use it and a newer
version might have better file saving capabilities.

As Andrew Plato said, you could probably do a screen capture. However, this
will work only if your database isn't humongous. If your database it very
large with lots of tables, you run the risk of not being able to view the
entire ER diagram in a window. Also, even if you could capture it in a
single window, by the time you size it for your Word document, the font
might be too small to read. We once had a project where all the ER diagrams
were taped together and filled an entire wall in a conference room.
capturing all those individual ER diagrams and placing them individually
into a Word page format would be more than I'd want to try.

I even tried scanning an ER diagram but when it was reduced in size to fit a
Word page, the font was too small to read.

The end result was a Word document with blank pages that were later
physically replaced by ER diagrams as printed by ERwin. Not a great
solution, but it was an internal document and we only needed a few copies,
so it was the best we could do at the time.

In other words, lots o' luck with getting Erwin diagrams into a Word doc.

Sorry for the bad news.

About Erwin training. The DBAs that used ERwin more or less brought the
skill with them and more or less trained a few other developers who needed
to use it. Before you try to use Erwin, it seems to me that you need to up
to speed or at least have some knowledge of relational databases.

Good luck,

Please keep us posted on your Erwin excellent adventures.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com
Deloitte Consulting
Pittsburgh Solution Center