Re: I am looking for two tools

Subject: Re: I am looking for two tools
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:27:24 -0400

Yaacov Garber wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for two tools. One tool that compares the content of two HTML
> files and a second that compares the content of two PDF files.
>
> If you know of a product that does this comparison, please email me
> directly, I get the digest version from the forum and need an answer ASAP.

For ASCII text files (which of course includes html), Unix has had a standard
utility called 'diff' to do this since sometime in the 70s. There are variants
that will handle three files, display differences in context, ...

So one solution is to just "get a real operating system"; install Linux or
any of the FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD group on your PC. Or Linux or Mac OS-X
on a Mac or ... Any of these will have diff; most will offer 3diff, cdiff, ...

You can get a full set of Unix utilities for Windows from at least three
sources. Microsoft provide one. Another is
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
The third one is at AT&T. I do not have URL to hand, but have posted it
before search the archives if you need it.