RE: Webhelp tools?

Subject: RE: Webhelp tools?
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:07:21 -0400

I cannot comment on all the tools out there, but I'm a happy user of
ForeHelp:

1. File corruption has never been an issue.
2. Has excellent built-in back-up facilities.
3. If something else crashes the system, file recovery has always been easy
(knock on wood).
4. Does not rely on Word for anything (does import RTF from Word, when
asked).
5. Produces a number of online formats from the same source. (Single
sourcing for online.) I have never produced printable documentation (RTF
files) that did not need lots of tweaking, but I hardly ever target printed
documents these days.
6. Has a free downloadable demo (www.ff.com).
7. Migration from RoboHelp was a breeze when I did it (several versions
back).
8. My limited experience with Style Sheets makes me think it handles them
well, but don't quote me on this point.
9. Bug-free? No. Disaster-free? So far.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)