Re: Salary bell curve: on the downside

Subject: Re: Salary bell curve: on the downside
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:24:36 -0700

Matthew Danda wrote:

> Anyone else experiencing the down-side of the salary curve?

Not me (says he, experiencing massive difficulties trying to cross his
fingers while typing).

There have been upheavals and changes, but nothing out of the ordinary.
For example, my regular computer journalism gig became a victim of
corporate strategies, but I've replaced it with another that should work
into regular, and had another couple of offers.

And, even though I'm telecommuting to the States and not looking for
work locally, I still get regular calls from the headhunters - not as
many as last year, but enough to assure me that, if I ever get tired of
travelling, I could support myself at my doorstep.

I think the state of high-tech was summed up nicely by a recent
Doonesbury cartoon in which Bernie, the software mogul, said that he had
switched from selling cutting edge technology to selling "dull boring
things that people want." The industry seems much more sensible than it
was last year. The venture capitalists are more cautious, but they're
still handing out money, and the companies are looking at day to day
profitability more than at profitable IPOs, but things still look better
than waiting for a tenure position in academia, for example.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"They say you get used to a war
But that doesn't mean that the war isn't on."
-Geoff Pearson, "If They Come in the Morning"