Re: Salary bell curve: on the downside

Subject: Re: Salary bell curve: on the downside
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:15:03 -0700

Elna Tymes wrote:

> Depends on the industry in which you're working. If you're in the computer
> industry, count yourself lucky to have a job at the moment - there are lots of
> unemployed technical writers in Silicon Valley at the moment, and the
> contracting environment has been hit much worse than the salaried environment.
> If you're in another industry, perhaps in another part of the country, you're
> probably better off than the computer industry.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me, but my impression is that,
just as other parts of the continent never had as big a share of the
prosperity as Silicon Valley, they don't have as big a share of the
depression.

The heady times of last year are over, but my sense of the job market is
that, for experienced writers, work is still there. It's not as
permanent, doesn't have as many benefits, and often isn't as
interesting, but it's still there.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"They say you get used to a war
But that doesn't mean that the war isn't on."
-Geoff Pearson, "If They Come in the Morning"