Re: "Logic Boxes" format for documentation

Subject: Re: "Logic Boxes" format for documentation
From: "Gomez, Philip F" <GomezPF -at- ch -dot- etn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:30:58 -0400

So far, the best info I've received has pointed me towards Edmond Weiss's
book, _How to Write Usable User Documentation_. I'm currently borrowing a
friend's copy to check it out.

Weiss discusses the Sequential Thematic Organization of Proposals (STOP)
format for documents, developed by J. R. Tracey et al. at Hughes Aircraft
Coporation in the 1960s. The STOP format seems to be very closely related to
the logic boxes format -- at least close enough to help me with my initial
question.

Writer's who have used this format (since I haven't asked their permission,
I won't post their names), seem to like it. More important, when I asked how
the readers felt about having manuals in this format, they said that the
readers loved it. Now, I'm intrigued enough to try it out on a pilot project
to see for myself how well it works.

Also, Jonathan Price, co-author of the excellent book _How to Communicate
Technical Information_, has an article on his web site about STOP:
http://www.theprices.com/4artTW11.htm.

My thanks to everyone who responded.

Best,
Phil Gomez