RE: Make it Pretty for the SMEs You Want to Interview

Subject: RE: Make it Pretty for the SMEs You Want to Interview
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:25:33 -0500

Ok, I've heard this sentiment way too often here, "It's naive to expect
respect." Where did this idea come from? It's a great pointer to the root of
our decline as a society. I respect everyone. You have to work to earn my
disrespect. I don't extend my trust to everyone. I wish I could. But, here
again, if you have my trust, you have to work hard to earn my distrust.

We treat our family and friends like hell usually. You can't do that to a
stranger without expecting to have your head handed to you on a platter.
Etiquette is more about staying alive than it is trying to earn a living
with calling cards.

Respect and trust are fundamental even for geeks. I've seen enough
enterprises fail, because of techno-hubris. If they ain't humble, they are
dead. I don't usually have a problem getting respect from my SME's. It
doesn't start with disrespect for myself.

David