RE: Make it Pretty for the SMEs You Want to Interview

Subject: RE: Make it Pretty for the SMEs You Want to Interview
From: "Bissell, Johanna" <Johanna -dot- Bissell -at- ASAMRA -dot- HOFFMAN -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:46:38 -0400

>>David Locke wonders....Ok, I've heard this sentiment way too often here,
"It's naive to expect respect." Where did this idea come from?...>>

This is something I have found to be company specific. My experiences at my
previous company led me to believe you had to fight a war before you'd be
given any respect. Then I switched jobs and suddenly I was thrust into this
new area of respect. Every person I work with has the belief (or at least a
very good facade) that the others in the office are to be treated as experts
in their positions. My first week I was told straight out that when I go
into a meeting to not be shy about what I need or think should happen (in
reference to my docs). I was told "You are the expert. That's why you are
here and everyone knows that." And it wasn't bull. Every meeting I've had,
that has been the attitude. I'm the expert and I deserve respect for that.
End of story. And that's the expectation every employee has for every other
employee. You wouldn't be with us if you didn't know your stuff and deserve
respect. My feeling is that those who show themselves to be lacking skills
or undeserving of respect are let go.

Hannah Bissell
SI-ECC - Technical Writer

"...because life is too short to waste it whining."