RE: mousing over

Subject: RE: mousing over
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:41:59 -0700

Mouseovers typically have three or four different images associated with
them, while these terms are pretty commonly used (in the US anyway) they are
really only relevant to web development. I doubt the web using public really
cares what they are called.

UP image = the image that displays while the page is loaded and mouse is not
over the image/button
OVER image = while the mouse hovers over the image, but has not clicked it
DOWN image = while the image/button is bieng clicked
OUT image = image/button after the button has been clicked and let go (bad
wording I know.)

UP, OVER, and DOWN images are very common, OUT images are much less common,
but useful if knowing what you've clicked is important (I guess).

hope thet helps,


> as I'm new to tech writ -- actually, new to the IT field
> in general -- what I ask below may sound elementary indeed.
> So. The GUI artist I'm working with would like to know if
> there is any apt term for his kind of mouseover toolbar
> buttons: buttons that burst into color when one moves the
> mouse over them? (It would be all the better if the term
> somehow revealed a contrast with buttons with permanent
> color. And how DO you guys call the latter, by the way?)
> Heikki Raudaskoski
> Specification Writer
> Jutel Oy/RadioMan Broadcast Systems


*** Deva(tm) Tools for Dreamweaver and Deva(tm) Search ***
Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems
Available now at or info -at- devahelp -dot- com

Sponsored by Information Mapping, Inc., a professional services firm
specializing in Knowledge Management and e-content solutions. See or 800-463-6627 for more about our solutions.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

mousing over: From: Heikki Raudaskoski

Previous by Author: RE: document presentation
Next by Author: RE: Word scrolls too fast?
Previous by Thread: mousing over
Next by Thread: RE: rounding up my straying projects

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads