Extending Dreamweaver's Help

Subject: Extending Dreamweaver's Help
From: Jessica Pease <JPEASE -at- Partnerware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:38:04 -0500

Hello Whirlers -

My company is extending Dreamweaver using Ultra Dev. We will be creating
custom objects and templates which I want to provide documentation for.
Dreamweaver has an extensive help system and it seems like it would be
relatively easy to add my help to their system -- they use HTML and
javascript to create their help files, contents, index, and search. The
harder part seems to be the integration of my help files with theirs,
removing help files they provide that don't apply to our use of the product,
and making sure that all the indices, contents, and search are viable after
modifications are made. Has anyone on this list modified the existing
Dreamweaver help system before? Have you any suggestions for ways to make it
an easier process or things to avoid? It seems like a very manual process,
if you know of any tools that can be used, that would be great too.

Thanks for your assistance,
Jessica

Proactive Defense Against Claims of Posting Laziness:
I did a search on the techwhirler archive for "customize Dreamweaver Help"
and received messages that had the word customize in the body and an ad in
the footer for a Dreamweaver class. Woo-hoo.
I also searched the Dreamweaver website extensively. This section is meant
as a lampoon.