RE: Tech writing class

Subject: RE: Tech writing class
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:41:09 -0400

> What about an advanced level tech writing class that's married to an
> advanced engineering class? Something like an advanced
> computer science lab
> or an engineering lab. The engineers usually have to create a
> product for
> these types of classes... why not pair the tech writers up with the
> engineers? The tech writers learn what it's like to work with
> techies on a
> project, and the techies learn what it's like to produce a
> more finished
> deliverable...?

My university made something like this available to those of us in the TPC
(technical and professional communication) major. The ME and EE students
had various lab reports and senior projects that they had to write up, and
some of the TPC students volunteered to help with the writing and editing.
Some students used it as an internship opportunity if circumstances
prevented them from getting a traditional summer internship. I personally
didn't work on writing projects with any of the engineering students, but I
think it was a good experience for those who did.

Since our program focused on both technical writing and professional
writing, we weren't limited to straight technical writing topics. We also
took courses in graphic design, marketing, instructional design, and project
management. The current course listing is available at
http://www.cedarville.edu/courses/catalog/current/crsreq/ll/tpcmajor.htm for
anyone who is interested. There are currently 17 required courses, 15 of
which are taken during the students' junior and senior years.

In the end, there's only so much that a person can learn in a classroom. I
think that's why more and more programs are requiring internships between
the students' junior and senior years.

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.