RE: suggestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writing

Subject: RE: suggestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writing
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:06:32 -0500

> I don't agree. Too many people take a single technical writing class and
> then declare themselves writers. That first class should be the practical
> side of the business, and let the theory wait until the upper levels.
>
> As for Microsoft Project, I don't see any need to include that in
> the intro
> class.

I agree with Bryan on this one. A intro tech writing class needs to
concentrate on basics. In my mind, that includes things like using active
voice whenever it makes sense to do so, same with nominalizations, concise
writing with use of lists, and reinforcing basic grammar rules. I'm sure I'm
leaving a few items out, but you should get the idea. Of course, there's
time to fit these basics in around other principles, but the basics should
be the focus. Keep in mind that some of these people never learned how to
write, even if they think they did. Others can write well, but for some
other style such as creative prose, dry academic prose, etc.

The class that was described with MS Project may have been a great class,
but it really sounds more appropriate for a second semester course that
starts delving much more heavily into content and tool issues. Yeah, you
oughta start peeking into this stuff during the first semester, but the
priority should be on the basics.

David Berg