RE: What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:25:16 -0500

> Can I chime in a little late on this one?
>
> > Question: What do you call the function where you type a letter and the
> > first item in your combo box that corresponds to that letter displays. .
> .
>
> I wouldn't call it anything. My feeling is that if a large group of tech
> writers has several different names for this function (and lots of us have
> no name for it at all), any name you choose is going to be obscure and
> cryptic to your users.

Since I don't recall anyone pointing out one fact, I'll take the chance on
repeating a bit of information. Microsoft refers to this function as
AutoComplete. You can find an explanation of Microsoft's interpretation of
the term in your Windows help file. AutoComplete seems fairly
self-explanatory, and it's a term in current use, so it receives my vote.

David Berg