Re: XML & XHTML

Subject: Re: XML & XHTML
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:06:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:
> Michael Collier wrote:
> >
> > Pursuant to the "XML as a document language" thread, I suggest that one way
> > of working with the XML model is to use the XHTML doctype in web pages that
> > you own.
>
> Call me lazy, but unless a client insists otherwise, I'd rather skip
> XHTML and go directly to XML. XHTML is an interim solution, and I'd
> rather not confuse my already over-worked brain with two markup
> languages that are just similar enough to be confusing when I can get
> away with learning one.

I've been following this thread with some interest. We've been doing new
documents in XHTML for several months now. And we've been slowly converting
existing documents from whatever version of HTML they are to XML. In the
process, we've also been learning about XML.

Bruce, I don't think you're lazy, so I won't call you that, but since XML is
structured in such a way that you might find yourself learning several
different tags sets, especially if you're chaning jobs as many of us seem to
do, I certainly don't see learning XHTML as an interim solution. My experience
with XHTML has made me MUCH more comfortable with the concepts of XML. I feel
I'm about ready to try my hand at DTDs, which is were the documentation
architecture of XML, that everyone talks about as so wonderful, will really be
done.

So, no, I don't think it's a waste of time to learn XHTML.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems