Re:(NOT) HUMOR: I Need Help

Subject: Re:(NOT) HUMOR: I Need Help
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Thom Randolph <thomrandolph -at- home -dot- com> wrote:

> Seems like the group should hear the opposite side of your "issue":

What "issue"? I have a lot of them. If you're talking about the post you're
referencing from the subject line, you're like 4 months behind. I posted that
back in February. Delayed reaction or are you just looking to pick a fight?

> Yes, we've heard before how you wish people would stop asking for things
> they don't have and can't find for themselves. What I'd like to know is why
> you have what seems to be an inherent disdain for not only the questioners,
> but also for those of us who ARE willing to lend a hand, or word, or 50, or
> even 5000.

If I remember correctly, my original point was that it is disturbing how people
seem to instantly resort to asking the list for help without doing ANY research
on their own. I find that disturbing because one of the skills a good technical
writer should possess is the ability to solve problems independently.

I don't think my original posts expressed any disdain for the people answering
these questions.

> If you're so incredibly adept at problem solving, why does this one idea
> occupy
> your thoughts so frequently?

I would hardly call one post, 4 months ago "frequently."

> For the slim chance of a possible reduction in our collective distaste for
> you,
> and to save your clearly valuable time, the next time you deign to send your
> "how dare you ask questions that require long and helpful answers" reply, may
> I suggest you simply reference your numerous previously archived comments?

Collective distaste? What is this? A Borg cube? Don't you keep up with current
events? Janeway trashed their trans-warp hub. :-)

Thom, I could care less if people ask dumb questions. Ask them all night and
day. I don't know what honked your duck to illicit this snipe at me. While I
may have made a jab at the dumb questions that sometimes get posted here many
months ago, I really don't care that much.

I am much more interested in my quest to breed a race of killer pigeons that
can peck the eyes out of unruly technical writers.

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com/