RE: What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
From: Larry Sherman <lsherman -at- documentology -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:06:45 -0400

Carol Anne T. Wall wrote:

<<What do you call the function where you type a letter and the
first item in your combo box that corresponds to that letter displays.
you select that letter again, the next item with that same letter
if there is a second item in your list. The users want this
documented, but it's hard to document something you can't name.>>

Hi Carol Anne,

In Microsoft Access, the documentation calls a similar feature
"Auto-Expand" and describes it this way:

"You can use the AutoExpand property to specify whether Microsoft Access
automatically fills the text box portion of a combo box with a value
from the combo box list that matches the characters you enter as you
type in the combo box. This lets you quickly enter an existing value in
a combo box without displaying the list box portion of the combo box."

The key part here that may differ from what you actually need is that
Access "...automatically fills the text box portion of a combo box..."

IMHO, the term "Auto-populate" would suggest filling the combo box
itself with the values from which the user will make a selection.

Hope this helps,

Larry Sherman


*** Deva(tm) Tools for Dreamweaver and Deva(tm) Search ***
Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems
Available now at or info -at- devahelp -dot- com

Sponsored by Information Mapping, Inc., a professional services firm
specializing in Knowledge Management and e-content solutions. See or 800-463-6627 for more about our solutions.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: Has anyone used the tool SoDA for Word?
Next by Author: HUMOR - "Make this Pretty" (lament of a tech writing dept.)
Previous by Thread: RE: What are "advanced" API topics? + XML - where's the beef?
Next by Thread: RE: What is This Functionality Called?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads