RE: What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:35:58 -0700 (PDT)


I don't know a formal name, but I know exactly what
you're referring to. The list is not
"auto-populating." It's ALREADY populated, but has
the convenience of allowing you to pop right to the
right part of the list that starts with the chosen
letter. You can then repeatedly strike that key to
scroll through - in your example - the "M" part of the
list. Not only that, once you get to the bottom of
the M items, if you press "M" once again, you return
to the top of the M items.

If I had to make up a name, maybe alphabetic tabbing
or alphabetic scrolling? Automatic Selection by
character. These are made up, of course. I'm going
to check the MS Knowledge Base to see if they have a
formal name. I love that function, and now you've
made me curious...

> Carol Anne T. Wall wrote:
> <<What do you call the function where you type a
> letter and the
> first item in your combo box that corresponds to
> that letter displays.
> If
> you select that letter again, the next item with
> that same letter
> displays,
> if there is a second item in your list.

Joy Beer
Technical Writer
Columbus, Ohio, USA

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices


*** Deva(tm) Tools for Dreamweaver and Deva(tm) Search ***
Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems
Available now at or info -at- devahelp -dot- com

Sponsored by Information Mapping, Inc., a professional services firm
specializing in Knowledge Management and e-content solutions. See or 800-463-6627 for more about our solutions.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

RE: What is This Functionality Called?: From: Larry Sherman

Previous by Author: Re: NORMAL vs BODY styles
Next by Author: Re: Not-so-great moments in technical writing
Previous by Thread: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
Next by Thread: Re: What is This Functionality Called?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads