RE: Not-so-great moments in technical writing

Subject: RE: Not-so-great moments in technical writing
From: Mandy Wells <mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:03:08 -0400

:: A friend recently called Handspring to see if she could buy
:: a new plastic case for her Visor...They said no problem,
:: we'll send you an entire new unit and you can send the old
:: one back to us (that's great customer service IMHO). When
:: the new unit arrives, it comes with illustrated
:: instructions for returning the old unit in the box the new
:: one was shipped in. All is well until you get to step 3:
::
:: "Please detach the customer receipt (left side) of the
:: return Airbill label included in the replacement box.
:: Please attach the right half of the Airbill (with adhesive
:: backing) to the package."
::
:: Unfortunately, the person who wrote these instructions
:: apparently didn't have an Airbill to refer to ...
:: It's a little thing, but the little things can still drive
:: you crazy.
::
Tragically, this is exactly the reason my busted Visor has been sitting on
my desk for five months, waiting to be returned to Handspring--after reading
their instructions, I couldn't figure out where to put all the sticky things
and return numbers and such. It was all too confusing and I had to get back
to my (never confusing, always technically flawless ;) technical writing.

Ah, I'm probably the reason Handspring will discontinue this excellent
customer service, but hopefully they'll do a bit of research first and
figure out why people are confused about their return instructions.

Stickily,
Mandy