Re: terminology Q

Subject: Re: terminology Q
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:27:21 -0700

At 03:02 PM 5/30/01 -0400, Dick Margulis wrote:

Chicago says that if there is no ambiguity, just leave out the hyphens.
I don't see any potential for ambiguity; that said, perhaps you do see
something I'm missing. In that case, use hyphens (not en dashes) and
punctuate it low-color-depth monitor.

Hang on jes' a darn minit there, Dick! ;-)
I'm the first to admit that I'm no grammar maven;
and I have often taken instruction from you on
just such issues. But I take exception to your
advice for double hyphens, above. Here's why...

The device, I'd assume, is a "color depth monitor"
and there'd be several for low, high, midrange...
But "color depth monitor" is one-a those dreaded
hi-tech noun strings that "civilians" are always
raggin' on us for. So, to increase readability,
you'd call it a color-depth monitor. I'm sure
you're with me so far! ;-)

But... "Low" isn't a noun (yet???) ;-), so it
doesn't have any part in the dreaded noun-string
problem -- there! see! I've just used a similar
construction and it flew off my fingers quite
naturally! ;-)

I'd leave out the first hyphen and call it a
"low color-depth monitor".

thinkaboutit.

-Sue
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com