RE: XML - where's the beef?

Subject: RE: XML - where's the beef?
From: mpriestl -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:38:31 -0400

Here's the beef:

- client-side browsing of XML:
IE 5 supports XSLT (actual transformations of content, reordering and
resorting etc.) - you need the later patches of the browser for best
results
both IE5 and NetScape 6 support CSS (simple styling of content)

- Printing:
Apache's FOP supports the XSL:FO standard.

- Server-side dynamic processing of XML using XSLT:
Apache's Cocoon

- Database support of XML:
I'll mention DB2 because of who I work for, but I believe most of the major
players have some degree of built-in support these days.

- Documentation standards:
DocBook is the most prevalent, esp. with the Linux crowd and O'Reilly. Tons
of infrastructure and support already in place, lots of folks using it for
years in its SGML form.
DITA is a new (prototype phase) XML architecture focussed on topic-oriented
authoring (creating small individual units of reusable information that can
then be assembled into books or linked together into web documents) and
focussed on fast creation of new information types (speeding up the process
of DTD creation and deployment). Look for an article in August's Technical
Communications journal.

- Links:
XML and Apache:
http://xml.apache.org

DocBook:
http://www.docbook.org/

DITA:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/index.html

- Bias:
I work for IBM, and I helped develop DITA

Michael Priestley
DITA Specialization Architect
mpriestl -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com
Dept 833 IBM Canada t/l: 778-3233 phone: 416-448-3233
Toronto Information Development