Help Authoring Tools -- Need suggestions!

Subject: Help Authoring Tools -- Need suggestions!
From: Joyce Fetterman <JoyceF -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:38:07 -0400

The problem: I need to quickly create helps for a Windows-based application.
This is a first for me -- previously I've written doc for mainframe software
or HTML-based help. The first answer that comes to mind is RoboHelp, but I'm
a long-time WordPerfect user, and most of my company's product doc is
written in WP. I can use Word, but I don't like it, and I'm definitely not
as well-versed in it as WP.

I need suggestions and recommendations for help authoring tools that aren't
restricted to Word files. According to the Tech-Whirler archives, Wextech's
Doc-to-Help is poorly documented, and I know that RoboHelp is Word-specific.
ForeHelp looks like a possibility -- has anyone on the list imported
WordPerfect docs to create Windows-based help with ForeHelp? Also, has
anyone here used Help Maker Plus by Exhedra?

I have a limited budget and limited time to learn a new tool. But I don't
want to buy cheap and regret the decision, or end up with a tool that offers
little flexibility. Your experiences in this area will be a big help!

Please copy me directly with responses, as I'm on digest. Many thanks!

Joyce