Re: Excel Conversion Question

Subject: Re: Excel Conversion Question
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:18:16 -0600

> Subject: Re: Excel Conversion Question
> From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:15:57 -0600

> My sympathies. I've never used Excel for anything more complicated
than
> tracking project hours, etc., so I can't help with the how-to.

> But I'm dying of curiosity: How in the world (and why) does one
create a
> user guide in Excel??

Well, in Excel 2000, you can stick a pretty long sentence in a single
cell--each cell can contain up to 65,000 characters. Cripes, you
could get a whole page into a single cell, and with proper sizing and
word wrap . . ..

But I agree, Excel does seem like a really inappropriate tool for
writing a user guide.

Here's something that might work though.

Word 2000 appears to have the ability to import an Excel file, though
the feature doesn't automatically load when you install Word. (I.e.,
Word will prompt you for the install CD the first time you use the
feature.) Then, when the workbook is in Word, save it as a Word
document.

Now, my total experience with Framemaker is nil, and I'm assuming
Framemaker can import a Word file.

So Toni, let us know how this works.

--

John Fleming