RE: What color is my parachute?

Subject: RE: What color is my parachute?
From: "Tanja Rosteck" <tsr -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:19:14 -0400

Michelle wrote:

> I took this job because I thought I'd gain new skills that
> would benefit me
> during the inevitable second job search, but I'm afraid
> that if I stay,
> I'll just become proficient at a program that very few
> places use. Sure,
> that I can learn a new skill shows ambition, but will I
> always be on the
> bottom of the resume pile if I'm a ToolBook II Master and
> everyone else has
> at least intermediate proficiency in FrameMaker or
> RoboHelp? On the other
> hand, I'm afraid that if I leave, I'll have difficulty
> finding a similiar
> position because of the scarcity of entry-level positions.

Hi Michelle,

As you've probably already learned via the discussions on this list,
the key to success in the field isn't necessarily the tools you use.
In your current job, you should be focusing on learning the *craft* of
technical writing. You can easily learn Frame or RoboHELP in your
spare time - and you should do so, since there are lots of tutorials
and "Dummies" books out there to help you.

Critical skills like working with SME's, learning how to organize and
break down complex information, and learning to translate your
journalism experience to tech writing are far more important than what
tools you use. Entry-level positions are great for teaching you the
fundamentals of the field... it sounds like you have a great
opportunity already. You're working with a team of experienced TW's
who you can learn from!

And you can even turn this situation into a positive during your next
job hunt - just think, you successfully produced a professional
Project X despite having to use an obscure and extremely
difficult-to-learn authoring tool! What better example of how you
overcame a difficult work situation and proved that you were capable?

*Tanja

--
Words4Nerds: Big-time technical writing for small business
web www.words4nerds.com