What color is my parachute?

Subject: What color is my parachute?
From: "Tommy Green" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:26:30 -0500

<<In the world of tech writing, is it worth it to just get any experience/any
skill?>>

Yes, it is worth it to get any experience you can BUT..you should be able
to get a certain level of skill with that software that noone uses (enough
to do the job) then be able to move on. Hopefully, the company will come
up with more projects that will require some common tools. If not, I would
look around. Your time as a Tech Writer will slowly open more doors as you
go along. I know some Tech Writers who work in particular fields that use
only proprietorial software (that type of software that is developed and
used solely by that company). They have no continuous exposure to Word,
FrameMaker, or RoboHelp. The tradeoff is that they learn that software and
become more valuable to the company. If that company plans to make that
software their primary tool, then so be it. Do you want to become that companies
primary employee?

I guess the goal for most folks is to pay the bills. To do that, you have
to be marketable. Putting all your eggs in one basket will limit you if
you want to evolve as a writer.

Enough rambling for today. Hope this helps.

Introducing iWon Cash Points...now everyone's a winner on iWon.com.
Visit http://www.iwon.com now and start earning iWon Cash Points today!