RE: Jumpstart a programming ability [- why?]

Subject: RE: Jumpstart a programming ability [- why?]
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:46:11 -0500

>May I question the underlying premise that the techwriter should learn a
>programming language?

Always question.

Some reasons (no particular order)

1) Respect. If you speak the language, the developer will sometimes give
you the benefit of the doubt. No benefit, obviously, if you're not doing SW
docs.

2) Reading the langauge can help you sometimes understand things the
developers "forget" to tell you. It can also help you understand what
you're seeing when you try out the product.

3) Knowing some basic programming can help you shorten the discussions with
developers, making your information gathering more efficient.

4) Making the effort meet a developer "halfway" by learning their language
can earn you points (see #1) which can have the effect of making a
developer more willing to talk to you.

5) "A mind, stretched by a new idea, never returns to its former shape."
Oliver Wendell Holmes.

6) For me, the biggest turnoff in a conversation is "I don't need to know
that." You say that to me just once, and you'll never get anything other
than the bare minimum from me at any time in the future. I'll not volunteer
any information, you'll have to drag it out one direct question at a time.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224