RE: Opinion of a site.

Subject: RE: Opinion of a site.
From: "Bissell, Johanna" <Johanna -dot- Bissell -at- ASAMRA -dot- HOFFMAN -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:07:58 -0400

A recovering Social Worker, I worked with people with disabilities at many
different levels of ability. Unless they are catering specifically to those
with something like CP, all those colors and flashing words are too much
(and though jokingly mentioned, will cause epileptic fits).

I didn't have any problems with the links and was able to browse through it
just fine (although I strongly suggest having the entire word be the link
and not just the bullet next to the article titles). Then again, I'm used to
seeing sites with such bad designs (hard to find the hot spot on a link,
navigation links that are illogically located on the page, etc.) However, on
the Introduction the background of the page stays static while the text
moves (when you scroll). Cool, some might say, but again, that kind of
movement is very bad. Many medications people with disabilities take have
side effects on their vision and this type of movement makes deciphering the
words that much harder. On this same reasoning, I would also suggest a
larger size font and avoiding script fonts. Also, the site switches between
black backgrounds and white backgrounds. One of the first thing I learned
about developing websites is to keep it consistent throughout the site
(mostly so the user knows they have not left the site). This site would be
much better off sticking to a theme.

Basically, I know the guys I worked with would not have gotten past the
first page. Half because they wouldn't know how and would get too
frustrated. The other half would get so distracted by the format they would
deem it useless and head somewhere easier.

Hannah Bissell
SI-ECC - Technical Writer

"...because life is too short to waste it whining."