RE: A/An

Subject: RE: A/An
From: "Bissell, Johanna" <Johanna -dot- Bissell -at- ASAMRA -dot- HOFFMAN -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:49:23 -0400

That is basically what Chicago Manual of Style 14.15 (page 464) states (that
the choice depends on the pronouncement of the first letter, if the letters
are pronounced individually - as opposed to pronouncing them as a word).
They also have some decent examples:

abbreviations said as individual letters:

an NAACP position
a TVA power station

abbreviations said as a word:

a NATO meeting
a LOOM parade

Hannah Bissell
SI-ECC - Technical Writer

"...because life is too short to waste it whining."