Re: Opinion of a site.

Subject: Re: Opinion of a site.
From: Kelley Walker <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:14:18 -0400

At 09:19 AM 7/9/01 -0700, John Posada wrote:

This request is directed to those who have a strong understanding of
web sites where the targeted audience is people with disabilities.
<...>

I sent your request to a woman who is an important figure in the Disability Movement, particularly among those who wish to undermine the "medical model" in favor of the "social model". (In short, it is a critique of older notions of disability which treat disability solely as a medical problem to be treated medically/technologically, rather than as one that also requires fundamental changes in the way we _think_ about disabilities and PWDs).

Her name is Marta Russell, author of _Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract". She didn't feel qualified to give a technical assessment, but she did want to suggest some other Web sites. I've appended her message.

<paste>

From: Marta Russell <ap888 -at- lafn -dot- org>
To: Kelley Walker <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Opinion of a site (for PWD)

Kelley,

This site sucks -- I mean stinks. ICK.
I don't know that I can come up with a technical reason however to
thwart the requester. It is just so medical model (not social model)
and out of date with our movement. If you look at some other sites
you will see what I mean.
I would recommend some other sites:
http://www.ragged-edge-mag.com/
http://www.thalidomide.ca/gwolbring/
http://www.mouthmag.com/

Marta

</paste>

Kelley

--
Kelley Walker
Organizational Researcher/Technical Writer