Re: "Documenting APIs and SDKs" review?

Subject: Re: "Documenting APIs and SDKs" review?
From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:14:35 -0400

Hi Carol,

I have the workbook.

I'm sure the workshop this book comes from is
wonderful, but the book itself is reprints of the
set of PowerPoint slides from the workshop
without much of the backup description that I'm
sure went with each slide. There was some good
information there, and if your intent is to use the
book to nudge you in the right direction toward
the actual format of the documentation, you may
find it helpful. I didn't know much about C++ code
at all (which is what I'm documenting) and I'm using
it in conjunction with "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours."

My situation might be unique in that I was completely
cold in terms of the code. I don't think that either the
book or the workshop are intended for people like me.
The code samples in the book don't look like the
code I'm looking at, and there isn't much description
to help you decipher stuff like that.

To be fair, that is not the intent of the book either.

So the upshot is, I'm not finding the book terribly
helpful, but I think the problem is between the chair
and the book! ;-)

Anne Robotti
Technical Writer
RadiSys Corporation
7 Clarke Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
(609) 655-3111 x-326

Hi, I've been looking for a book to learn api documentation. I've found a
workshop based in Canada by Gordan and Gordan. I'm based in So Cal and
would
only order their written materials.

Does anyone who's taken the workshop or ordered the workbook have feedback
(recommend or not)? (http://www.gordonandgordon.com/workbooks.html ; first
listing)