Re: Information Mapping Seminar - Worth It?

Subject: Re: Information Mapping Seminar - Worth It?
From: "Jennifer Brady" <jmbrady1217 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:38:06 -0500

What exactly is Microsoft Certification, and how would a tech writer use it? I am very interested in what others on this list have to say about training that is useful for TW (conferences, etc.) as I do get a training allowance and want to use it wisely. I was taking programming/web developing/javascript classes, but as a non-programmer that was taking far too much of my free time and I decided to pursue it more leisurely on my own (thanks to the leads from this list on Barnes & Noble University and beginning programming books!)

-Jennifer Brady

I think you would be MUCH better off and considerably more employable if
you skipped IM conference and got some technology training.

For example, myself and so co-workers are forming an Microsoft
Certification study group so we can all become MCSEs. This costs only time
and a few hundred bucks for books. In the end, if we pass the tests, we'll
be Microsoft certified, which is EXTREMELY rare among tech writers and
very much in demand.

If you want to be in demand and ensure employment, you need technology
skills. IM training is simply not in demand and won't pay you back in
greater earning potential.

Good luck.

Andrew Plato