Re: Word to pdf????

Subject: Re: Word to pdf????
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:07:16 -0700

Get a version of Adobe Acrobat. 5.0 would be my preference as the distiller is part of the tool here. Install it. Keep a shortcut to it handy.

Open your Word document and print to file. Use Distiller as the printer. For reasons unknown to anyone, this will create a .prn file, not a .ps file as expected.

Open Acrobat and select Tools -> Distiller. (With older versions Distiller is a separate tool.)

For a first go, just accept Distiller defaults. You can change them later, if necessary.

From Distiller, choose File, Open. Browse to your .prn file. Distiller is looking for a .ps file, which is not there. Change the options so you can see all files.

Select your .prn file.

Press Enter.

Distiller will ask where you want it to put the .pdf file.

Distiller will process the .prn file and produce a .pdf file. You can open this .pdf file in Adobe Acrobat.

If this doesn't work, I've left out a step or two. <grin> Let me know where you get into trouble.

Marilynne

At 11:48 AM 7/13/2001 +0100, Marcus Cumming wrote:

Dear All

Please could someone tell me if it is possible to save Microsoft Word files as pdf???

Thank you

Marcus
Technical Author

Surface Inspection Ltd