RE: Salary issues

Subject: RE: Salary issues
From: "Dia Blankenship" <dia -at- teknolutionary -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:59:42 -0400

> Sorry, but that seems like a dumb idea. You just gave them a starting
> point, and if they're paying XXX to YYY, they now know they can low-ball
> you. "Competitive level" is one of those meaningless HR phrases.
> Tell them
> you look at the whole package, not just the numbers...blah, blah, blah.

Frankly, I totally dismiss the concept that the salary for any new position
should be a function of any previous salary. And I make that statement to
anyone who asks me the question. I base my salary requirements on the value
of the work to be performed, the conditions under which it is to be
performed, and the demands made upon me.

Incidentally, it *does* work -- I once doubled my salary this way. The guy
tried to low ball me, figuring I was making much less and would accept much
less. But I stood my ground and told him point blank that we wouldn't be
having the discussion if he wasn't sure I was the best person for the job.
Then I calmly looked him in the eye and told him that I wanted XX, I was
worth XX, and someone would pay me XX -- to let me know if it was going to
be him. I was hired on the spot -- and at the salary I requested.

The best way to win at their salary games is to change the rules. ;-)

Cheers!
-DB