New level position: Need title and duties

Subject: New level position: Need title and duties
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:35:19 -0400

Hello all. Please respond to me directly, and I will compile the answers
for the group. Here is the issue:

My manager and I are trying to scope a position (by name and duties) that
currently does not exist in our company. Perhaps some of you have such
positions in your companies and can help us.

We have 4 senior technical writers in the same department as 5 QA analysts
under a single manager. Our combined department is a part of our
Development organization. This structure is unlikely to change for now.

One of the writers may take on new responsibilities (but maybe earn no more
money) to provide functions that either currently do not exist or that now
burden the manager. Some of these functions MAY include editing, project
management assistance, technical lead (including owning templates),
visioning, etc.

Our upper management is looking for position titles that are fairly standard
in the software industry, so this one should be standard but descriptive
(not generic). What title does your company use, if you have such a
position?

Also, what duties does this person have in your company? Likely here, this
person would still have some of his or her own documentation projects to
manage and develop, with these being additional duties.

Again, please respond to me directly.

Thanks,
Roger Bell
Senior Technical Writer
Optio Software, Inc.
www.optiosoftware.com
"A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an
optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties." ~ Harry Truman