Lying About Salary

Subject: Lying About Salary
From: "Scott Holstad" <SHolstad -at- ci -dot- knoxville -dot- tn -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:41:39 -0400

Hi All,

First of all, I have no plans to do this, so don't immediately skewer me. I'm merely interested in everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Scenario: After working for a good company in California for several years, I left two years ago at a pretty good salary level. Certainly above average, and something I was happy with. I moved to Tennessee, for reasons I won't go into. I took a job for much less money and left after six months because I hated the company and the job. I was then offered several jobs, one of which was much higher paying, nearly at the California level, but in another Tennessee city. My family applied enormous pressure on me to stay. I caved, and took the *lowest* paying job here in town for a government agency. This is the lowest amount of money I've made since I got out of grad school years ago, and it's personally embarrassing. When it's time for me to move on, and the dreaded salary question arises, if I'm even close to being honest, I'll get $20,000-$30,000 less than what I'm worth, have made and want to make.

So, has anyone here ever lied about their salary? What are the ramifications of doing so, aside from being unethical? Can this come back to bite you? Would you be honest and accept a figure that keeps you at a much lower salary than you're used to, simply because it's based on what you just made at your current/previous job?

Okay, like I said, I'm not necessarily planning on doing this. I'm simply curious if others have and what the results have been. So, no need to make a noose and hang me. :)

Thanks,

Scott