RE: Lying About Salary

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:12:07 -0500

Hi Scott,

When I applied for my current job, they asked my previous salary and I
included the costs of benefits as well as the salary from my last employer.
I was frank, and called that number my "total compensation." I asked for a
fairly substantial increase over what they were offering salary-wise, made
my case for the increase - and got it.

As far as actually lying outright, I can think of a couple of reasons to be
honest:

1. It's the right thing to do.

2. A lie is always harder to remember than the truth. If you say you were
making $50,000, you'll have to remember that number throughout your time
with the new employer. If you slip up and mention the real amount,

3. Most employers consider lying on an application grounds for immediate
dismissal.

4. If anyone finds out that you lied, you're going to have difficulty
finding work after you leave that employer.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema GTSRN

All the opinions, errors, sarcasm, and wit (if any) expressed in this
e-mail are solely mine. SchlumbergerSema takes neither credit nor blame