RE: Salary - It's Easy

Subject: RE: Salary - It's Easy
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:31:56 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

| --- Kristen wrote...
|
| > Although I usually agree with Andrew, I have to respectfully disagree
| > this
| > time. I don't think the word "about" justifies a $23,000 lie. I would
| > say
| > $32,000 plus extras that motivated me to take that cut in pay. Just
| > have
| > logical reasons for wanting more! Emphasize the big office or the bonus
| > program or the flex hours that justified that rate at the time. I
| > really
| > honestly do not see money being a show stopper if they are truly
| > interested
| > in your skill set.
|
| Its not a lie, its a range. Lying is saying you made an exact number that
| isn't true. This is just working inside grayness. Nothing wrong with that.
| You may debate the SCALE of that grayness, but the principle still holds.

Sorry, but it is an outright lie to say that you made "about $55,000" when
you in fact made "$32,500." I do not know a hiring manager who would look at
it otherwise, and I know quite a few. I would certainly not consider making
an offer to a candidate who made such a statement. Using the word "about"
does not mask the fact that it's a lie.

Regards,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users