RE: Salary - It's Easy

Subject: RE: Salary - It's Easy
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:40:15 -0700

Three unrelated observations/questions inspired by this thread:

1. Do these companies that you're so wary of lying to always tell the
truth when promoting their products? Or do they exaggerate their products
capabilities, confident that once you buy them, you'll find they're really
quite satisfactory? (My last company LOVED that tactic.)

2. Several have rather glibly said that if forced to disclose their salary
"you probably don't want to work there anyway." How do you know? Unless
you'll be working in HR, how does being forced to answer this question
tell you anything about what working with the dev team or the tech pubs
team is like? If you walk out of a "screening" interview, you'll never
know.

3. Do any of you know for a fact that a company has been able to verify
your previous salary? The last two companies I worked for do NOT divulge
that information, and will only go so far as to acknowledge that you
worked there. They MIGHT tell another company if you were dismissed under
negative terms. But my experience is a small slice of the pie - what
experiences have you guys and gals had in this area?

Looking forward to your input!

-KC